29 November 2009

Thanksgiving

This year we were able to spend Thanksgiving with my family up in Boise. Jenika and Danny spent Thanksgiving with his family in Missouri, and we definitely missed them, but are looking forward to Christmas when ALL my sisters will again be in the same place. A feat that isn't accomplished very often these days!

Curt and I drove up Wednesday after he got off work. Luckily he had a pretty slow night and was able to drive part of the time. We got to Boise and checked into our hotel and headed over to my Mom & Dad's house. Nikola came over a little later and brought over baby Lily. She is definitely getting chubbier and cuter every time I see her! She is starting to try and "talk" and she has the cutest little grins!

I helped make the spinach dip and Thanksgiving morning I made two batches of rolls (7 dozen!!) which of course promptly tired me out and I had to take a quick nap before dinner! We had my Grandma and some family friends over in addition, 11 adults and 1 baby! I was thankful to be with my family.

I was definitely thankful my appetite has somewhat returned, otherwise Thanksgiving would not have been a great event for me. I was able to eat most of what I wanted, although I still have an aversion to meat in general, so I only ate a bite or two of turkey.

We took it easy on Friday...attempted to go to a couple stores, but quickly decided it wasn't worth it, but we braved Cabela's so Curt could get a couple things. Then we hung out at my parents' house and watched BSU continue their undefeated season despite the rain/snow slush that covered the ground!

Curt and I left on Saturday and drove back home. It seemed to take a lot longer to get home, but that was probably because of our little detours. We stopped in Twin Falls for lunch and went to see Shoshone Falls. They definitely are spectacular, but it was FREEZING with the mist coming off the falls! Curt wanted to take the road home from there through Nevada. Wow...what a whole lot of NOTHING!! My Dad had told me there wasn't much along that route and never wanted me to drive it by myself, now I understand why. Why anyone would want to live in a place like Jackpot or Wells, I haven't a clue, they are truly in the middle of nowhere!

That road also took us past the Bonneville Salt Flats. It is the first time I have actually seen them in person. It is definitely an amazing and barren landscape. Completely flat for miles, and because of the salt, nothing grows.

I am now just a couple days shy of 16 weeks! I found out I was pregnant at around 6 weeks, so these past 10 weeks have gone by fast in retrospect! Like I mentioned earlier, I have been starting to get my appetite back. I actually can and WANT to eat most of the time now, and have been able to eat a wider variety of food. (i.e., things that actually have FLAVOR!) My nausea has almost disappeared!!! (YAY!) Except if I don't keep something in my stomach or I get too tired. I have had a little bit more energy, and have been able to start unburying my house from the "tornado" look it acquired while I was too sick to care! That has been something for me to be incredibly thankful for!

We have our next doctor's appointment on Wednesday. We will find out then when our next ultrasound will be to find out if we are having a boy or girl!!


2 comments:

  1. yay! sounds like a fun holiday- i'm excited to find out what you're having!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We missed you too! We had a good time in Missouri, though. I've come to find that our family's 8-hr Thanksgiving Marathon o' Food isn't quite the American norm. Oh well!

    Love you! We're looking forward to finding out if your baby is a Shafer junior or juniorette!

    ReplyDelete